Our Lady of Peace oratory
Historic site and monument, Religious building at Aussois
See photos (3)
The oratory "Our Lady of Peace" was built in 1942 in gratitude for having saved the village from destruction during the war.Indeed, the border enemy, near the village, did not result in either occupation or major destruction as was feared.
The inauguration took place on August 16, 1942 The platform was extended and refurbished in 1968.
History: Text from "The Clocher d'Aussois," September 1968:
"Hostilities ended in June 1940, it was the return of the evacuation, July 10 It was also the return of our men and our young military people had been able to fear the worst.. Destruction of the village by shelling or by fire ... the massacre of our soldiers and the civilian population ... the occupation of the village ... but we found the intact village. enemy was at St. Peter's bridge but the village was not busy.
The test was neither too long nor too hard. In practice, the population found itself in full. Our soldiers returning one after the other: families were forming ... the village is found ... life reprennait and we were pleased that we had obviously been spared all that logically, it was feared ...
It was conscious of having benefited from a clear protection of heaven ... We had prayed so much! ... "
In Father Excoffier, which interpreted the feelings of the people, germinated the idea of raising a "Monument of Gratitude" ... The idea matures.
It will be a statue of Our Lady of Peace to thank and also to ask him to continue his protection.
The statue was paid for by the public through subscription and enthusiastically.
- Mass is celebrated every year on the third Sunday of July.
- In the mountains
- Village 2 km away
- Parking nearby
- Animals accepted
- All year