Optical telegraph Chappe was born in 1793, to meet the need to communicate faster. Between 1806 and 1814, the telegraph of Saint-André is part of the line Lyon-Turin.
At the French Revolution, information circulates to the rhythm of horses. On July 12, 1793, faced with the military threat and the lack of rapid means of communication, the Convention accepted the proposal of a young physicist, genial inventor, Claude Chappe, to set up an optical telegraph system. The Chappe telegraph was born.
Between 1806 and 1814, the telegraph of Saint-André is one of the 33 positions of the line Lyon-Turin. The Milan system is used on the Bear Plan post. The manipulator placed inside the "barracon" controls the regulator and the 2 indicators.
The post is held by 2 stationary. The works begin at least 15 minutes before sunrise and end at the end of the day. The signals are formed by the geometrical figure composed by the regulator and the 2 indicators.
In 1845, the national network has 535 stations spread over 5000 km and serves 29 cities. The Bear Plan site was refurbished in 2010, it functions as in 1807.