Places full of history!
The forts of Esseillon were built between 1815 and 1830 at the time of the Kingdom of Piedmont and Sardinia according to the plans of the Marquis of Montalembert.
The Esseillon glacier lock (Piedmontese scale) was perfectly suited to the architect’s conception, which advocated mutual defence of each fort by crossfire.
They bear the first names of the members of the royal family: Victor Emmanuel and Marie-Thérèse, Charles-Félix and Marie-Christine, Charles-Albert.
A bit of architecture …
The fortified ensemble of the Esseillon is related to the conceptions of the Marquis de Montalembert (1714-1800) whose theories are opposed to those of Vauban.
The various works are named after one of the members of the Royal family. Marie-Christine, Marie-Therese, Victor-Emmanuel, Charles-Albert and Charles-Felix, but none of these forts had to undergo the test of fire.
It was in 1860, during the annexation of Savoy to France, that they became national heritage. Three of these forts have been restored to date, including one housing a gite restaurant and the other, the fortified heritage interpretation center.